Skip to main content

Some questions about the Liquitex Pouring Medium


Here are some question that I have about the Liquitex Pouring Medium:

Do I need to varnish over the medium?

If I use it on glass with it fade in the sun? I have a great old window which was the original to this cottage which I would love to put in the window facing my neighbours brick wall that I look at.

How do I get clean crisp edges? There are some recommedations to build a frame and also use masking tape on the edges. See what Nancy Reyner recommends down below

Should I allow the drip to show over the edges. Some people say it looks cool but I am not sure if it would be considered professional. I did see a painting that it did puddle quite a bit over the edges and the pouring medium that made large circles on the base of where it had dripped over was kept and then applied to the wall for presentation of the art work. When I come across the photo again I will add it to this post.




I came across some info from the following source : http://www.nancyreyner.com/blog/
with the following tips:

Here are some basic tips from my DVD to get a flawless “surfboard finish”:
(1) Use a rigid surface to keep from buckling while drying.
(2) Use a medium that is made specifically for pouring, like Golden’s GAC800. If using other fluid mediums, such as Clear Tar Gel or Self-Leveling Gel, dilute up to 40% with water and spread thinly to avoid crevicing.
(3) Apply a stain sealer, then prime the surface before pouring to keep stains from coming through the surface into the poured medium.
(4) Pour on a surface that is level, so while it dries it won’t shift.
(5) Immediately spray with alcohol after pouring and spreading to eliminate bubbles.
(6) For deep pours apply duct tape around the edges like a wall, seal the seam with a gel, then pour as deep as you want using GAC800. This is the only medium that I know of that can be poured deeper than ¼” without crevicing.

I also came across this blog by Karen Hamilton on how she uses pouring medium over pastel....brilliant.

Process

Karen applies pastel to the canvas, manipulates the colour with her hands, then carefully applies a transparent resin (pouring medium) using a brush, drop-by-drop. Once the resin is set, the resin completely protects the pastel and the finished piece no longer requires glass. Just add hardware to the back-side and hang!
source: http://www.khartist.com/materials/

Here are some tips from Kim Kobashi, she uses inks and water colour panel.
source: http://kimikobashi.blogspot.ca/2013/05/ink-pouring-medium-experiment.html

Comments

  1. Hi Barbara,

    Thank you for stopping by my blog and for mentioning me here! Nice to meet you. I attended a talk about various Liquitex products from one of their reps, Michele Theberge. You might like to look her up as she has various videos on how to use some of the mediums that might answer some of your questions. I think a lot of how to use it is certainly your choice and what you like.

    Personally, I don't think you need to varnish over a pouring medium unless you want a matte finish and not glossy, in which case you could use a matte medium on top. I don't know about the window but my guess would be that the lightfastness of color would depend on the paint you used. I usually use a medium to help bind the acrylic molecules so they'll stick to the canvas better, but you need quality paint to keep the color from fading in light.

    Hope this is a little helpful. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Kimi,

    I have experimented with the varnish over the pouring medium and other than a bit of streaking it looks okay. I received some tips from Francoise Isslay who is also a rep for Liquitex and she recommended the new spray varnish by Liquitex. And I agree that I don't think it does need a varnish on top because the paintings which I did with the pouring medium on it's own, as a varnish look amazing.

    Thank you for stopping by to read my blog and thank you for the information.

    BTW, you are the very first person to ever comment on my blog which I have been writing for a couple of years. What a surprise it was for me. Nice to meet you and hope to chat more with you.

    Have a nice day,
    Barb



    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Barb! Well, I'm very honored to be the first! :) I like what you're sharing here on your blog ~ your questions seemed to open a conversation and I'm always interested in learning from others' experiences. I'm sure we'll talk again soon. It's nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Barbara,
    Thanks for posting my resin and pastel process. The link you've noted above has changed. Resin process can be found on my Materials page: http://www.khartist.com/materials/.
    Karen Hamilton

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sewing machine drawers

I found these sewing machine drawers at the curb last summer and have been debating what to do with them. I may try to sell on and keep the other for a project....hum so many projects....what shall I do? I love the detail on each of the little drawer pulls and one of them has this little detailed corner which is so cute. the bottom of this one lost it's veneer After some research on some of my blogs that I visit I found some great ideas like this one by Mamie Jane's Here is another idea to use the drawers for from http://www.etsy.com/listing/65855791/salvaged-vintage-sewing-machine-drawer?ref=sr_list_1&ga_search_query=sewing+machine+drawers&ga_page=2&ga_search_type=all&ga_facet = Or this one from http://www.etsy.com/listing/63700962/vintage-oak-sewing-machine-drawer-with?ref=sr_list_19&ga_search_query=sewing+machine+drawers&ga_page=2&ga_search_type=all&ga_facet = another real cute design for candle holders f

Vintage Free Graphics- Printable Family Record Certificate

Another free amazing graphic from "Graphics Fairy" http://graphicsfairy.blogspot.com/2011/02/antique-ephemera-clip-art-printable.html

End of a collection #Breweriana

 For years my hubby and I collected Breweriana items. It started with beer glasses and within a year or two without realizing it, we had over 100 displayed in our A frame window ledge. Then it was coasters from every bar or restaurant we visited. The next level was Beer trays which we eventually sold off. This all started when we were making our own beer even managed to find the old quart size bottles and the cases. As with most collections it grows without even noticing. You know it's out of control when you need to clean over 100 glasses, twice a year. We still pick up glasses, coasters and trays here and there but more for reselling. This is the last bit of the collection that we no longer display and all the coasters have a pin hole as they were mounted in our basement on our barn wood walls. They are in relatively good condition for the next collector to come along and purchase them. Poshmark.ca/closet/bpagani Thank you for checking them out.  update this batch which had lots