Skip to main content

The other cottage

This is the other cottage that we are inheriting from my husband's uncle. It is in his will to him. He has not been up there for 2 years so there was some damage with animals that had got in. We started 4 weeks ago by starting to clean out the place. Most of the furniture had to be brought to the curb with the exception of 2 bureaus, a table and 1 lofa (which will be brought back to the other cottage in the basement) Now with all the furniture gone, we then started cleaning and removing all the carpets. We had our good friend Larry come and show us how to get the water started last weekend. My brother came up last weekend with my sister in law and my bro removed the carpets on the second floor and my sister in law started painting the wood panelling in the living room. Chuck moved the lawn which was knee high. It took him an hour to do it. I was the vacumner, cleaner, pass the garbage bag and hold the rolls of carpet for taping. So we are making head way.

List of things still to be done:

Buy and install a new toilet
Pick up 10-20 bags of gravel for hill at the front entrance
Remove lineoleum flooring in living room
Paint the wood panelling & wood flooring on the second level.
Make new curtains for the whole place
Give the living room a second primer coat and buy paints
Buy furniture and arrange delivery

progress report to follow

These are the before pictures and the view to the lake











First weekend that we went there, we removed most of the older appliances and brought in our appliances that were upgraded a couple of years ago that were in storage. Then we went through the kitchen and removed all the food that was left there for the last 2 years. We had previously bagged a lot of clothing and brought that to the curb for the city's big garbage clean up. We were amazed when we were leaving that most of the metal and all the bags had been picked up by someone. I am happy for that because we just did not have the time to sort through what may have been useful and it would get a second life instead of going into landfill. 

The second weekend we got rid of the huge orange hide a bed and still some more stuff on the 2nd split level with my middle daughter and a good friend who was 6"5 and lifted the couch like nothing. 

Third weekend, my brother and sister in law came up with us on the sunday and she was in charge of the priming of the wood panelling in the living room, my brother was in charge of removing all the carpets, my hubby mowing the lawn which had not been done in 2 years or more and I was in charge of assisting everyone and vacumning, cleaning the bathroom and helping my brother secure the tape on the carpet that he had rolled up.

My sister in law painting the living room
Here is the colour scheme I want to use 

This is the colour of the 50 feet of material that I have from a friend that was moving to do all the windows.
I know it doesn't match with my colour scheme but we will be going with more of the taupe and sand colours so it should match and plus the material was free. Now all I have to do is find a sewing matching that works and sew them all. Yesterday I cut out all the material and I have to admit I was wondering why I started this being an amateur but the cost savings is the thing that is keeping it going and hearing my aunt who always say's "If there is a will there is a way" . 
  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sewing machine drawers

I found these sewing machine drawers at the curb last summer and have been debating what to do with them. I may try to sell on and keep the other for a project....hum so many projects....what shall I do? I love the detail on each of the little drawer pulls and one of them has this little detailed corner which is so cute. the bottom of this one lost it's veneer After some research on some of my blogs that I visit I found some great ideas like this one by Mamie Jane's Here is another idea to use the drawers for from http://www.etsy.com/listing/65855791/salvaged-vintage-sewing-machine-drawer?ref=sr_list_1&ga_search_query=sewing+machine+drawers&ga_page=2&ga_search_type=all&ga_facet = Or this one from http://www.etsy.com/listing/63700962/vintage-oak-sewing-machine-drawer-with?ref=sr_list_19&ga_search_query=sewing+machine+drawers&ga_page=2&ga_search_type=all&ga_facet = another real cute design for candle holders f

Vintage Free Graphics- Printable Family Record Certificate

Another free amazing graphic from "Graphics Fairy" http://graphicsfairy.blogspot.com/2011/02/antique-ephemera-clip-art-printable.html

End of a collection #Breweriana

 For years my hubby and I collected Breweriana items. It started with beer glasses and within a year or two without realizing it, we had over 100 displayed in our A frame window ledge. Then it was coasters from every bar or restaurant we visited. The next level was Beer trays which we eventually sold off. This all started when we were making our own beer even managed to find the old quart size bottles and the cases. As with most collections it grows without even noticing. You know it's out of control when you need to clean over 100 glasses, twice a year. We still pick up glasses, coasters and trays here and there but more for reselling. This is the last bit of the collection that we no longer display and all the coasters have a pin hole as they were mounted in our basement on our barn wood walls. They are in relatively good condition for the next collector to come along and purchase them. Poshmark.ca/closet/bpagani Thank you for checking them out.  update this batch which had lots