Skip to main content

My personal notes for shopping, and storing of Art Supplies



I could shop every day for art supplies, if I had money and the time to do it. But instead I keep a list in my studio of what I need and try to buy when there is a promotion. This takes a lot of discipline. These are 3 things remember;
1) There will always be a sale every couple of months so just hold your breath.
2) Don't buy what you will not be using within the next 6 months unless it is something that is hard to find.
3) Never buy value packs canvases, they are just no good. Spend the extra bit of money to get a good quality.
Having said that I do periodically have to go out for a specific paint that I am using on commissioned pieces that I run out of and of course varnish, which seems to always run out when I need it.

My cost saving tips:
I purchase a lot of mediums that I use on a regular basis, in gallons.
Buy paints that I use a lot in bulk.
Purchase only when a promo happens for items you know you will be using.
I buy in large quantities of things that I use a lot such as eyelet screws because I will always need them. There is nothing worse than getting ready to hang a painting and noticing you are out of them and having to look around for them at ridiculous prices around town. These are one thing I always have too much of, along with the wire.
When visiting Ontario and United States, I do my research first to check out the prices of the products on line that I use regularly and pick it up while visiting. I also ask family and friends to pick up items that I have found to be cheaper or a better quality when coming to visit me.
I will only buy at Michael's with the 40% coupon on a regular priced item that cost less and I really really need it. Most of there sales are not worth it.

Things I try to do ever month:
Go through supplies and items that will not be used that take up space, either store them somewhere else or donate them.
Organize paintings for sale separate from ones being worked on.
Develop hard copy pictures and burn a cd of latest paintings for portfolio.
Clean everything in studio, floors, furniture, and light fixtures and keep the dogs out for at least a couple of days so you get some satisfaction until the next big project.

Things to do daily:
Keep a positive attitude and if you feel tired do not push your painting.
Don't be afraid to experiment.
Have fun doing what you are doing even if you are pretending you are five years old.
If you are not sure if you are liking something about your piece, walk away and come back to it later with a fresh attitude.
Allow a natural instinctive flow to your work. Sometimes you may feel you are doing something different and it might not turn out good but if you don't try, you will never know.
Try to keep your area clean





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sewing machine drawers

I found these sewing machine drawers at the curb last summer and have been debating what to do with them. I may try to sell on and keep the other for a project....hum so many projects....what shall I do? I love the detail on each of the little drawer pulls and one of them has this little detailed corner which is so cute. the bottom of this one lost it's veneer After some research on some of my blogs that I visit I found some great ideas like this one by Mamie Jane's Here is another idea to use the drawers for from http://www.etsy.com/listing/65855791/salvaged-vintage-sewing-machine-drawer?ref=sr_list_1&ga_search_query=sewing+machine+drawers&ga_page=2&ga_search_type=all&ga_facet = Or this one from http://www.etsy.com/listing/63700962/vintage-oak-sewing-machine-drawer-with?ref=sr_list_19&ga_search_query=sewing+machine+drawers&ga_page=2&ga_search_type=all&ga_facet = another real cute design for candle holders f

Vintage Free Graphics- Printable Family Record Certificate

Another free amazing graphic from "Graphics Fairy" http://graphicsfairy.blogspot.com/2011/02/antique-ephemera-clip-art-printable.html

End of a collection #Breweriana

 For years my hubby and I collected Breweriana items. It started with beer glasses and within a year or two without realizing it, we had over 100 displayed in our A frame window ledge. Then it was coasters from every bar or restaurant we visited. The next level was Beer trays which we eventually sold off. This all started when we were making our own beer even managed to find the old quart size bottles and the cases. As with most collections it grows without even noticing. You know it's out of control when you need to clean over 100 glasses, twice a year. We still pick up glasses, coasters and trays here and there but more for reselling. This is the last bit of the collection that we no longer display and all the coasters have a pin hole as they were mounted in our basement on our barn wood walls. They are in relatively good condition for the next collector to come along and purchase them. Poshmark.ca/closet/bpagani Thank you for checking them out.  update this batch which had lots